Friday, December 19, 2008

Tropic over the fence in the snow


Our wonderful stallion-Tropic Lightning- was looking over the snow covered fence yesterday and our sorta resident-photographer and friend-Connie Hoge snapped this pic. Caught his spirit perfectly.

A little background on tropic. He was a good super runner-winning a $100 grander in Kentucky-at two and 5 more races-all on different race tracks on all surfaces from grass -mud-sloppy-fast tracks. He was a stone cold runner who is making a nice sire.

By the way, he lost his right eye on a pasture accident at 3 months of age. So don't make too many excuses for our horses--THE GOOD ONES OVERCOME lots of bad luck.


It has been a two week cold snap-the first since 1990. But, we are fine and horses seem to love to play in the snow.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pretty boy!! He looks happyl You have a beautiful place!

Anonymous said...

Head Honcho ... What a wonderful site. We are horse people as well and are looking for property in the Mascota area ... It's a dream come true when we wandered into this lovely valley. Do you have any suggestions where/who we begin with in the area for our ranch quest?

Please contact debra_chrystal@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Dean,
I would like to have a copy of this picture so I can get it framed. Can you get a picture of DP for me?
Diane

Resting Racers Ranch said...

Good morning Head Honcho!! This is a beautiful picture of Tropic Lightening. I can sure see where Tropic Pass gets her good looks and wonderful disposition from!!

Hope all is well with you folks. Our barn is finally done and our horses seem more content these days.

I rode one of my horses nearly 20 miles this past Saturday. Not bad for an lady like me!! hahah!!

Anonymous said...

that's a beautiful picture of him!
just a beautiful picture!

i've taken up photography, i wish i had the opportunity to capture shots like that one!

http://big-deal-lucille.deviantart.com/gallery/

that's my friends pitty, he's tiny compared to your big guy!

Anonymous said...

Head Honcho,

Is Diligent Prospect now with you?

If so, I echo Diane - can you post a pic of him?

Resting Racers Ranch said...

I never tire of seeing this beautiful horse!!

I'm so honored to have one of his fillies as my own.

Anonymous said...

i was in the interior recently vising the very ranch i grew up on and discovered that not only was the first horse i ever broke still there but the old ranch horse that became my favorite and taught me sooo much, B. Boy, was still around!
i caught this picture of B.Boy and one of the Impressive grandkids they have there named Lilly. i couldn't help but think of the shot you have of tropic lightning when i was out there.

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2210/208/99/1262457774/n1262457774_30298709_7795.jpg

Anonymous said...

he's got to be into his late 20's already but B.Boy doesn't show it!

this big ole ranch horse sure gave me a few lessons on how to catch horses! you had to work a bit before they'd let you capture them and throw a saddle on 'em. we always blamed the cowboys for bein' to rough on them when we weren't there but looking back, we kids straight up got outsmarted by a bunch of quarterhorses.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2210/208/99/1262457774/n1262457774_30298711_8310.jpg

even at his age he's still on edge when he sees people nearing his corral.

Anonymous said...

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2210/208/99/1262457774/n1262457774_30298708_7537.jpg

Resting Racers Ranch said...

Hi.... We're celebrating a birthday. Tropic Pass is 6 years old today! She's sure a beauty and looks just like her dad!

Theresa

Anonymous said...

I worked at Margaux Stud while in college and Tropic was one of my babies at the foaling barn. I was just looking at Margaux's website and saw Tropic Lighting's name and that lead me to find your blog. How great to find that he's done great things after losing that eye! I wish I could remember the name of the foal he collided with, it was freak accident. Tropic lost an eye and the other guy injured his shoulder. Tropic had a great attitude, from the time he was a tiny foal to when he was being broke to the saddle. That's such a beautiful picture. All my best!