Thursday, July 20, 2006

Some insight into Robert Sorrels-my idol as a Kid in San Acacia,New Mexico

This is a photo of the house that I lived in with my mother-Alama for about a year about 1950 near San Acacia. We had only 2 rooms and an outhouse-no barns and certainly no big haystack. The house itself is under the mesquite tree. While living here, I took the school-bus to Socorro to school.



This is a copy of a photo of Bob Sorrells given to me by his wife Louise. She wrote the description below photo. Yes, the horse fell on him and he drew the same horse at another rodeo the next weekend and he rode him to a standstill. The crowd "passed the hat" for such a ride and really "came apart" in honor of Robert Sorrells.





Robert Sorrells was my "mentor" when we lived in and around San Acacia in about 1949-50. He was a REAL COWBOY-bronc rider, cowman and a man without equal in tracking. In the late fall of 1997-Anne and I drove over to New Mexico to find some places where I had lived as a Kid.

Below is a picture of some of Bob's relatives taken in around the late 1800's. Bob married a really nice Spanish lady named Louise. We were able to find their house in San Acacia -and it was the same house-highly added on and renovated that I lived with my mother, Alma in about 1950. He told us of tracking down- a really deranged woman named Nora Lee who ran off from San Acacia and finding her high on a hill-when he came close-she "hit the fence" like an old wild cow. Brought her home safely.



The "Apache kid' was a psycho killer Apache that was shunned by Apache and white alike. No-one mourned his death.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Robert and Lou are my great uncle and aunt. I just visited with them last year and they are doing great. Roberts sister Leona, was my grandmother and she was married to Jack "Buster" McBride, both have passed now. I would love to hear some of your stories. My e-mail is misterme.jim@gmail.com Please contact me.