Friday, Dec. 10-Charles got some super results. He won the third race with a first time starter that was owned and bred here by Vicky James, Louise Foster, and Dean Essex. Frank Foster- a dear deceased friend-husband of Louise and Dean decided to send Uhh OOO -a sister to My Ooo aah- to Helmsman in California for breding. Next day Frank calls, says "See if Vicky wants a piece of this". Vicky is the one that named the filly "star Fix". It is so perfect being by Helmsman. I think Vicky got the name from George a fellow Alaska Ferry friend. I did-she did and the rest is history. Frank died two years ago and Louise elected to stay in the partnership that is now known as the Law Firm of "Essex , James and Foster" Frank ,when e-mailing always signed off with--"Pancho the prayerful"
So naturally, when all were cheering STAR FIX in her first race, we hollered for a little"Pancho help". By golly, it worked. I'm sure he was in our living room cheering.
She layed about 5 lengths off the pace and then went up the rail and then outside to sweep the field and won by 4 and 3/4 lengths. "Whoopie"
Next race was Meomeomy. A nice $14,100 purse allowance race was going a mile on the grass. This was her first grass trip so lots of "who knows". She is by My Omen- a nice Nodouble son who happens to be our teaser. She broke -got bumped- and went up the rail running second. She was in a little tight on the first turn and kept second til mid backstretch when a horse went by her and promptly ducked in so Hernandez-our rider- had to check her hard-then another horse passed her. Looking bad. The rider let her recover well and took after the frontrunners on the turn and swept by all but one and they hooked up til about 10 jumps before the wire and Meo won by a length.
Miguiel Hernandez rode both mares beautifully---Great patient rides. He has lots of talent and experience.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, lots of friends gathered to watch the races. Vicky,Louise,John and Mary Charlton, Eduvides Osoria-our farm manager, Anne and I had a really good day.
Put a small wager together, and shared the bounty. That was fun also.
But the really great thing was the way Charles brought both these horses up to these races. Slowly, carefully, and steady. I really appreciate how much Charles means to our whole life.
And to TOP IT OFF--LINDSAY and RAMONA were there in Phoenix to be part of the races. Ramona has done so much to keep our horses together. IT WAS LINDSAY'S first race. WHATAWAYTO START. Thanks to all.
Will have win photos next week. Stay tuned.
4 comments:
I could have been telling that story
myself--in fact I WAS telling it all
to George too!!! It was fun to relive it in the telling. Won't it
be fun when you can put the photos
on blog too???? I'm still on Cloud
Nine! I know we have a lot of steps
and some races along the way but if
we do make it, my friend in Prescott
will meet us in Phoenix Feb 11!!! I know how Holmgren feels--one game at
a time, one race at a time! Life is
so good. I am so glad that Lou stayed in the filly with us.
hi charles this is gordon the big chef of the bistro years ago,now i own my own restaurant called gordons on blueberry hill google that name and see video. i went to races on monday and thought of you and your folks and hope all is well.360)331-7515
I am working the western vet show in vegas. So I thought I would google up an old friend, Charles Essex. To my surprise Granite falls ranch pops up, which for me brought up memories of helping the Essex family move from vegas to wash. An adventure in my life I will always cherrish.
Learning to drive, bailing hay, the swimming hole and good people. My name is Paul Laspina 7024805270. Hope all is well, I would love to here from you!!
Post a Comment